New York City and Manhattan, NY
Nearly 50 million Americans are dealing with some form of acne, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Acne may appear in various forms, including those dreaded blackheads and whiteheads. These often painful and embarrassing bumps may appear on the face, neck, shoulders, arms, or back. One of the most severe, and uncomfortable forms of acne are those that develop deep under the skin. Deep, painful pimples can be red, swollen, and painful. Thankfully, there are ways to treat all forms of acne, even those painful red bumps!
Board-certified dermatologists on the Upper East Side, Drs. Debra Wattenberg and Ilyse Lefkowicz want to share seven tips on dealing with deep, painful pimples:
- Clean your face before treating it by using a mild cleanser that is fragrance-free. This removes dirt, oil, and impurities that could be causing clogged pores, and worsening your acne. In fact, regularly cleansing your face is recommended whether you have acne or not.
- To help reduce the swelling, apply ice packs to the affected area for 5-10 minutes at a time.
- Bacteria is part of the reason acne develops. To kill bacteria, apply an over-the-counter acne cream that contains 2% benzoyl peroxide. You can find these inexpensive creams at the drugstore. Just be sure to use a thin layer because too much may cause even more skin irritation.
- Once a pimple comes to a head, it is tempting to pop it. But, avoid picking, popping, or squeezing any whiteheads or bumps. Instead, apply warm compresses three to four times a day until it releases pus and heals.
- There are many false claims floating around on the Internet, claiming various home products will cure acne. But, some of these statements don’t hold true to their claim. Avoid applying any products that contain hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, methanol, or alcohol. These substances may cause skin irritation or clog pores.
- As much as you may have heard that homemade treatments may help heal acne, avoid heeding advice that you find online unless it is backed by a doctor’s claim. Just because something says it is “natural” doesn’t mean it is safe or that it actually works like it says it does. Furthermore, some ingredients may worsen your condition or irritate the skin.
- When these suggestions don’t seem to work, it’s time to contact a board-certified dermatologist that can help treat your adult acne in Manhattan. Professional treatments may be needed to get rid of your painful breakouts and keep them from coming back.
While these tips may help ease your discomfort and help you deal with those deep, painful pimples, you don’t have to live with the embarrassment and discomfort any longer. NY Skin RX offers various treatments for acne. From chemical peels to laser treatments, we can provide the best option to suit your needs.
Get rid of painful, deep bumps in Manhattan
If you would like to get rid of painful pimples or meet with our doctors to learn which of our treatments are right for you, contact NY Skin RX by calling (212) 288-3200. We provide medical and cosmetic dermatology to the areas of Manhattan, the Upper East Side, and NYC.